Saturday 24 March 2012

DVD and Blu Ray Update (11/03/2012 - 24/03/2012)

Welcome to another super awesome DVD and Blu Ray update, you should all be proud of me, since lately I've been getting them updated on time.

The Ricky Gervais Show Series 1 - if it wasn't for Ricky Gervais name recognition this should be called The Karl Pilkington Show, because there wouldn't be a show without him, all the laughs come from him.

My Girl 2 - doesn't have anything like the sucker punch of SPOILER Macaulay Culkin getting killed like the first movie SPOILER END

Honeymoon In Vegas - James Caan totally makes this movie, he is the sort of the villain of the piece, but you sort of get drawn into the stuff he's saying to Sarah Jessica Parker.

Erin Brockovich - while I take true stories with a grain of salt, at best their is an element of truth in there somewhere, this is probably one of Julia Roberts best performances, I am saying this because I've found a lot of her roles quite cold (which in the case of Closer, worked in their favour) and this role was very engaging for her.

College Road Trip - another title from the box of DVDs that was going, only picked it up because it looked like it was Brenda Song on the cover (I was right). Not entirely awful Disney movie, Margo Harshman, who I only really knew from the short-lived sit-com Run Of The House, was good fun in a supporting role.

Flesh Gordon 2

Office Space - flop on release but gained a strong cult following, really like this so it's sort of a mystery why it's took me this long to get it on DVD because it's a film I really like, I adore Gary Cole and Stephen Root in this movie. Why is that Mike Judge films can't find an audience on initial release?

Paul Blart - Mall Cop - probably the worst Happy Madison film I've seen, and I am sure there are people out there would just say they are all as bad as each other but I've digged many of them enough. Mostly just flat throughout.

Buffalo Soldiers

Date Movie / Epic Movie / Sports Movie - Epic Movie really isn't as awful as I'd heard, it's not fantastic by any means, Jayma Mays is adorable and fun, but it does seem a bit pointless taking the piss out of Borat and Nacho Libre among others (two comedies) and a joke involving Wolverine was already used in X-Men 2. Sports Movie (or The Comebacks)  was worth a watch thanks to a lot of game performances (it was worth making a bad pun about). Date Movie I saw a few years back and thought Alyson Hannigan delivered a fun performance. So there you have it on this blog Ive defended Uwe Boll and now the Seltzer/Friedberg movies, if some movie fans came across this blog I's be onto a shit-storm.

The 300 Spartans

The Lost Boys - it's one of those 80s films I have an affection for, even though it's probably more dated then most of the other 80s films I have an affection for.

Primeval Series 1

Inviticus - Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela just seems like the most natural casting choice in the history of cinema.

Ghost Town - on second viewing it got worse for me, the tone isn't too good and there could have been so much more done with the material, while The Frighteners (another film about a man being able to see ghosts, but done in a different tone) got better the more I saw it.

The Curse Of King Tut's Tomb / Merlin's Apprentice / Blackbeard / The Poseidon Adventure - 4 made for TV mini-series I picked up mostly based off The Poseidon Adventure which was not an amazing version by any means.

Get Shorty - This is the film that probably brought Elmore Leonard to my attention and it's still one of John Travolta's coolest post-comeback with Pulp Fiction roles (not counting Pulp Fiction).

Despicable Me - while Pixar is still the benchmark for computer animated movies, every so often one of  the  other studios' efforts get through to me and it's that Despicable Me left me happy.

Notting Hill - I prefer this movie to Four Weddings, but I don't know I think most of the negativity I feel towards this movie is aimed towards Julia Roberts, her character (a few moments aside) just leaves me feeling cold (which I said earlier in this update), I also didn't think much to Gina McKee's performance in this movie, Emma Chambers was likeable in it though just to show I'm not completely against the women of this movie.

Gosford Park
Police Assassins
A Scanner Darkly

Somewhere - Sofia Coppola's film that seem to come in under the radar, the big reason I got this was because I knew Ellie Kemper was in it. Not put it on yet.

Porridge - The Movie

The Constant Gardener - while overall it wasn't the best film of 2005 for me, it was still a much better movie to me then the eventual Oscar biggies Crash and Brokeback Mountain.

Island In The Sky
Where Eagles Dare
Holiday Inn

Beverly Hills Ninja - As much as Chris Farley is missed, films like Beverly Hills Ninja prove he wasn't exactly knocking them out of the park when he was alive - Tommy Boy, was his best starring role at it was good rather then excellent -.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Nil By The Mouth
Brotherhood Of The Wolf
Hi-De-Hi Series 1&2

SUPER - I really digged this movie. ELLEN PAGE really was amazing in this movie, it would make a perfect companion piece with Kick-Ass, both are about real people trying to be superheroes, this one as a much more meaner edge though. Blu Ray buy (11th so far)

The Muppet Show Season 1

I got rid of two UFC DVDs because I thought the money I got for them outweighed how much re-watching I'd get off of them.

That's it for another update, catch you in 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment