Wednesday 7 December 2011

DVD Update (17/07/2011 - 30/07/2011)


Hello and welcome to the second of the fortnightly DVD update where I list and talk about a little the latest additions to my DVD collection

Psych-Out/The Trip - attempting to collect these MGM Midnite Movies (and they are often at affordable prices even for double bills). This was an E-bay get and was actually high up on my want list. I did win Killer Klowns From Outer Space on the label around the same time, from a different seller but they messed me about before finally giving me a refund.

Ong-Bak - Gifted to me from Brother and this is an Asian release, Tony Jaa is not one of my favourites but I enjoy his movies enough.

Saturday Night Live - The Best Of Jerry Seinfeld - A R4 Australian buy from E-bay (costing me £6 including the postage), just not sure what the going rate for this was because even places like Amazon had not available at this time so I might have grabbed a bargain or maybe not. Besides been a rare DVD, the content is unusual for any SNL DVD as it's just one episodes (other best of's you know do what you'd expect and compile from different episodes)

Charley Varrick

Deliverance - Deluxe Edition - "Squeal Like A Piggy Boy..."

Jabberwocky - Never seen Jabberwocky before and I enjoy the vast majority of Terry Gilliam's work.

The Wedding Banquet - I actually didn't have an Ang Lee film in my collection until I got this (it helps is two famous movies - Crouching Tiger and Brokeback Mountain - are very overrated, enjoy The Ice Storm though which I need to re get, some films I should have never have got rid of)

End Of Days - by 1999, Arnie was running out of human (or aliens) who could possibly be realistic to go up against him so thats why EOD as him going up against the devil himelf.

Eraser
Amadeus

Joe's Apartment - I never recalled this as a particuarly brilliant movie.

Who's That Girl - Madonna stars, saw this as a kid couldn't remember it brilliantly and still haven't put it in my DVD player, sort of thing I can't resist buying though.

Me, Myself and Irene - was the very first DVD I ever got then sold and now rebrought it because I'm on a collecting Jim Carrey kick and I needed it. 2001 it cost me £14 used in 2011, £1 used, so there's a lesson in there somewhere, I think - oh yeah wait long enough and the price will come down, not really the best point though cause it's 10 years since -

Rage

Ali G In Dahouse - the Borat movie (and to a lesser extent Bruno) proved Sacha Baron Cohen should have his characters interacting with "real" people, it's not that I think this is a bad movie, but Ali G was at his best when interviewing the unexpected. Some of the jokes in this movie hit the mark, but many actually don't.

Alias Season 5 - ironic I'd get this so quickly after writing about it in a recent blog called dead in the water about TV series I seemed to have paused collecting.

Cold Harvest

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 - This is a spoof I enjoy but I could imagine others might not, it might work because I have affection for the Lethal Weapon movies it particularly apes. There is also a lot of fun little roles in here.

D.A.R.Y.L.

David and Lisa - I digged elements of it, films dealing with mental health really appeal to me and I liked the relationship between Lukas Haas and Brittany Murphy here.

The Office Season 6 - £1.60 + £1.25 postage - still shrink wrapped! Thank you to E-bay and other buyers ignoring it for no reason (seen similar ones more in the £10 region)

WWE Taboo Tuesday 2005/No Way Out 2006/Backlash 2006 - listed these three together even though there wasn't part of any set.

UFC - Best Of 2008/121 - adding these two show my UFC collection go up 200%, which is shocking because I really enjoy UFC.

Rainbow - 30th Anniversary/Rhymes, Stories and Tales
Turner & Hooch

My Fair Lady - to me the most overrated of Audrey Hepburn movies (I am big, big fan of hers), some of the songs are good but the film is overly long (why did musicals of the 60s need to go 3+ hours) and the central relationship doesn't ever feel like it grows into love at any point, which is obviously the centrsl point of the movie.

A Slipping Down Life

The Stand - The trouble with giant Stephen King books is they get turned into long mini-series, I like this because there is a good selection of actors and characters who I enjoy seeing.

Little Britain Series 1 - Little Britain is League Of Gentlemen made from accessible, I mean that as a critiscm - but only a little one as Matt Lucas and David Walliams are funny here if a touch over reliant on catchphrases but 20p for a double disc set is nothing to complain about.

Deadly Strike
Go Fish

Big Love Season 1 - I was in a charity shop and nearly missed seeing this on the shelf, something I beat myself up for doing so because Big Love is a show I've wanted to add to my DVD collection for a long time.

Anything But Love Volume 1 - didn't know too much about this sit-com which began in 1989. When I'd first heard about it surprised me Curtis was in a show around this time period, she and Richard Lewis have great chemistry from the couple of episodes I've seen and am liking it better then I expect. R1 purchase from E-bay at a cheap price (£2 including postage).

The Big Boss - doing this postage on Saturday after the post had been was I thought a fair enough tactic after a fortnight ago when two got added soon as the post was done because I thought I wasn't adding to it but then my Brother had found this for me and gave it to much and it was the last starring Bruce Lee role I needed.

A huge chunk the collections I've been working on did not get any additions, also thanks to unpredictable e-Bay arrival times, some stuff I ordered in this time period hadn't arrived and should (touch wood) make the next update. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment