Thursday 8 December 2011

DVD Update (28/08/2011 - 10/09/2011)

A pretty short round up compared to previous two weeks, thanks to not really as much to buy as before out there in my town. I never actually thought I'd say adding 24 titles to my collection would seem like a few, so I can't really complain.

Mortuary Academy - love Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov whenever there together (doesn't matter if it's director-actor, writer-actor, actor-actor etc.)

Double Dragon - the 90s trend of mostly unsuccessful video game adaptions.

Capone - early Sly Stallone film where he is in a supporting role.

Canadian Bacon - Michael Moore's only non documentary feature (though some would argue it's as accurate as his other films). This was one of John Candy's last films (he died whilst making his actual last film Wagon's East but this was released after his death) whilst there was some moments of sparks

My Bloody Valentine 3D - only got it because it was dirt cheap, horror remakes usually do fall into the unnecessary category but withhold my opinion until I actually see it.

Planet Of The Vampires - OOP on the MGM Midnite Movie was one of the three most wanted releases I wanted (but now I got all three - the others are The Trip/Psych Out and Killer Klowns From Outer Space, all added this year). Mario Bava is an awesome director so I'm hoping for a good thrill ride here. I haven't had chance to watch this properly, briefly put it into DVD player to try it out.

Mafia - time as actually been friendlier to this movie after been forced to deal with what passes as spoof these last few years and there are a couple of moments here that generally do make me laugh out loud.

The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires - Hammer meets Shaw Brothers in this co-production

Cyrus - not bad just feels uneven, Jonah Hill at least adds another dimension to his usual performance.

I Only Arsked - the movie adaptation or something like that of the 50s British sit-com Army Game (which I have never actually seen so can't comment on) but this movie had an irresistible classic British cast including Charles Hawtrey, Bernard Bresslaw and Norman Rossington.

Wacko - enjoyable spoof of slashers (beating Scary Movie by 18 years). George Kennedy raises some laughs as the main girls father, as does Joe Don Baker as the frazzled detective and Elizabeth Daily (who went onto voice Tommy on Rugrats) looks so cute here in a supporting friend role.

The Ultimate Weapon

Fatal Love - Molly Ringwald as the reputation of being a mega-b*tch in real life but on the screen I can't resist her, even if it's if a Made For TV movie (which are something I used to pretty much ignore until I realized like anything you can get your gems in the rough)

The Devil's Arthmetic

The Secret Agents Club

Red Scorpion

Necessary Roughness - Haven't watched this yet

Last Action Hero - I'm not sure why it gets a negative response because it's a very enjoyable movie.

The Crow - Brandon Lee was tragically killed on set which probably adds a layer to the film that otherwise wouldn't have been there. Only just realized this is the third posthumous release I got in the past two weeks.

The Truman Show - October 4th, 1998 my bday and also the day I got to see Truman Show with a free ticket and seeing it even now it's still a delight and with the rise of "reality" TV since then it became even more relevant.

How I Met Your Mother Season 3 - the third series costing me a total of 1.27 (not quite as good as the 2nd series for 99p).

Pledge This - according to IMDB among the worst possible films ever made which with me collecting National Lampoons and the fact I can't resist a movie that gets a very, very negative reception (1.5 by the way). I found this oddly enjoyable so sue me and I haven't got any secret crush on Paris Hilton or anything (Sarah Carter is the most appealing girl to me here FYI).

Andre The Giant - been spoilt for choice with WWE DVDs about certain wrestlers this 90ish minute collection of Andre matches just doesn't offer a strong enough round up of the 8th Wonder Of The World.

Caveman

So there you have it, some happy additions and an actual straight update from me for a change, see you in 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment