Sunday 11 December 2011

TV Series Dead In The Water On DVD (As Far Me Collecting Them Go)

I was thinking earlier about my DVD collection and how I have have been collecting them for 10 years now and how many I've brought and especially how many sold during that time, simply because the title wasn't up to scratch or their wasn't much replay value (or the third option - I knew I'd get a big chunk of change for them) and it got me thinking about the status of my collection which as passed 3000 in the past few months and some of the DVDs that are part of my collection - namely the television shows -, these are the television shows that remain incomplete and the following list firstly is those, I'm not actually that excited to get more of -

CSI - Crime Scene Investigation - I've just majorly fell out of interest with this franchise, maybe it's just too flashy and William Petersen (who I know in more recent years as left the show), outside of Manhunter and Young Guns Ii as never been that appealing to me - to be honest the show as never made go wow, even if it's actor or story (such as Homicide, The Wire, NYPD Blue, Columbo, Monk, The Shield etc). CSI - Miami would be the closest thing to be buying any of at the moment (I don't own any Miami) thanks to Caruso's one-liners before the opening credits). I've only got the first part of the first season and am not rushing to get any more.

Smallville - just went on way too long, limping out after 10 seasons. I've got the the first three seasons and actually got them in a short space of time of each other and I even watched the next couple of seasons while on TV but I just stopped being into it. Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover's performances as Lex and Lionel Luther still stick with me as strong and you can't deny Kristin Kreuk and Alison Mack rate on the cutie scale, but some of the characters and performers on the show where very weak.

Charmed - another genre show, I own the first season but I just don't have the excitement to buy anymore, I've passed up buying later seasons because they haven't been prices I've wanted to pay (and not massively that expensive). It's odd I have no desire to get more as I like elements of the show and I really, really love Alyssa Milano. Maybe something will change in me and this will get off the list.

DVDs that I actually hope to get out of the dead in the water area, but just haven't added any new titles for quite a few years -

DVDs that I actually hope to get out the dead in the water area (meaning I haven't brought additions to in years)

The Shield - among the best cop shows ever made and for some reason I only own the first two (of seven) DVDs. I think I'm going to set a price per season for the others and If I see it for that or below that price I will buy it straight away.

Spooks - I brought the first series way back in 2004, and haven't brought a single series of it since - which is actually a mystery, because the show which is somewhat a British answer to 24 and was very gripping and handled twists very well and it was good seeing some British actors get some decent TV roles.

The All In The Family Franchise - I own 14 seasons from the All In The Family franchise (5 All In The Family, 5 Good Times and 4 from The Jeffersons) but none have been added since January 2006, so that's actually nearly 6 years. I enjoy these shows and there is others series (Maude, Archie Bunker's Place) that would make neat additions to my collection.

Boston Legal - The James Spader and William Shatner partnership is perfection, so it's another show on the mystery list of me having only one season of it. I got this the same day as the first season of The West Wing, which I've gone on to complete, why not the same for Boston Legal?

Three's Company - like the AITF Franchise, I've haven't got a Three's Company DVD since January 2006. A lot of the episodes are the same set up - a misunderstanding - but it's a lot of fun. like AITF Franchise it's all R1 so I have to order them myself rather then hope to see them in the shops.

NYPD Blue - I still stick by my statement years ago of the first season of NYPD Blue been one of the best first series of a US TV show ever and that's the only one I actually own, I believe they've only got as far as the 4th. I would love to add more.

Monk, In Living Color, Moonlighting, Due South and The Twilight Zone - other shows that I want to complete soon and might go into detail later

Was dead in the water for a long time but pulled myself out of in 2011 -
# These are shows I went ages without adding any new but then broke the chain in 2011 and added new stuff to my collection

Alias

ER

Homicide - Life On The Street

Lost

The Simpsons

Alias - there was a time I couldn't get enough of Sydney Bristow and had the biggest crush on Jennifer Garner (still love her), it seems Lost, the other show creator J.J. Abrams was involved in eclipsed this and the last two seasons (which I need) are certainly the weakest but there good enough to still warrant owning on DVD.

ER - I did pretty good at keeping up with this until it's 11th season (of 15), true by this point it's glory days where behind it but it still had a lot of great stuff going on from seasons 12 to 15 - Scott Grimes as Archie Morris coming into his own, Parminder Nagra and Linda Cardellini and a 15th season that featured many old favourites coming back (even from beyond the grave).

The Simpsons - Up until season five I brought these on DVD as soon as they came out but budgeting with my money mean't I couldn't afford to keep doing that, and now what 9 or so seasons added to this I just haven't had a chance to catch up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment